Heidi E. Opinsky

The Law Offices of Heidi E. Opinsky, LLC

Are you currently considering a divorce?
Schedule a confidential consultation to discuss your options.

How to File For Divorce In CT

Making the decision to end your marriage is heartbreaking and life-changing, even if it’s something you want or know is best for your family. The next steps are difficult and often require the assistance of a skilled divorce lawyer in Fairfield County. Here’s how to begin the process of filing for a dissolution of marriage in Connecticut and how veteran family attorney Heidi Opinsky can help you.  

Learn How to File For Divorce In CT  

The process of actually filing the paperwork to get a divorce can seem intimidating and complicated. Below are a few points to understand before you get started. 

How to File For Divorce In CT Without Children 

If you and your spouse do not have children together, you will file different forms than if you did have children. For couples that do not share a child, the following forms need to be submitted to the Connecticut Superior Court in your jurisdiction: 

How to File For Divorce In CT With Children 

If you and your spouse do have children, you will file some of the same forms as above but also forms that are unique to divorcing with minor children, including: 

The Filing Process 

After you have completed your application, you must send or bring it to the Connecticut Superior Court Clerk’s Office so the Clerk may sign the summons in person. The paperwork will then be returned to you by the Clerk. Then, you must have your spouse served, usually by a State Marshal who will provide copies of the documents to your spouse. You can obtain a list of  State Marshals by contacting the Clerk’s office or by reaching out to the Court Service Center.

If you have a State Marshal serve your spouse the divorce papers, they will impose a fee to do so. This is mandatory unless you have filled out the Application For Waiver Of Fees (see above) and the court rules otherwise.  pay unless the court rules otherwise. You should wait to sign this form until you are with a notary public or in front of the Court Clerk. 

After your spouse has received copies of the divorce petition, the original documents must be submitted to the Court Clerk’s office, together with the divorce filing fee and confirmation that the documents were served to your spouse. In the event your spouse submits  an Appearance form, they must also sign the Case Management Agreement. This document must be handed in or mailed to the County Clerk’s Office prior to the date of the Case Management hearing listed on your Summons. 

You select the date of your actual divorce on the Case Management Agreement and are required to appear in court on that day. You must also appear in court on the date of your case management hearing if you and your spouse cannot reach an agreement regarding the date of your divorce and you have not filed a Case Management Agreement. 

Do You Need to Hire a Connecticut Divorce Lawyer to Dissolve Your Marriage? 

While the law does not require you to have a divorce lawyer when you file the motion to dissolve your marriage and you can represent yourself throughout your entire case, this may not be in your best interests. The process is significantly more complex than outlined above, especially if you have a high net worth under Connecticut marital property law. However, when you work with an experienced lawyer, these steps are largely managed or completed by your legal team.  

Call Veteran Fairfield County Divorce Attorney Heidi Opinsky For Help Now 

Dissolving your marriage is a complex process, regardless of whether or not you share children with your spouse. Heidi E. Opinsky is an experienced divorce lawyer in Connecticut with the skills and expertise to provide you with the comprehensive legal representation you need during this difficult time. Call today to book your initial consultation by dialing 203-653-3542.