Navigating Divorce In New York And Connecticut
A divorce is rarely a simple transaction, especially when it involves substantial money and property. When significant assets are at issue in a divorce, it is crucial to work with an attorney who has the knowledge, experience and acumen to protect the property, investments and income you have worked a lifetime to obtain.
Attorney Heidi E. Opinsky and her divorce attorney colleagues understand the unique issues associated with high net worth divorce proceedings, and they work relentlessly to seek resolutions that safeguard the millions of dollars at stake in these challenging cases. While many family law lawyers are capable of handling “run of the mill” divorce matters, it takes an attorney of unparalleled skill and sophistication to help you obtain the most favorable results in light of the complexities associated with your high net worth divorce.
Whether you are a business owner, a corporate executive, a licensed professional or anyone else who has attained moderate to substantial income, pensions or other high-value assets during your career, attorney Ms. Opinsky can effectively assist you. Her negotiation and courtroom advocacy skills have earned her a reputation for being among the premier family law attorneys in the tri-state area.
Understanding The Many Issues That May Arise In A Moderate To High Net Worth Divorce
With more than 30 years of legal experience, Heidi E. Opinsky is highly seasoned at handling the many diverse aspects of high net worth divorce proceedings and other sensitive family law matters, including:
- The division and equitable distribution of property and assets, including marital residences, vacation homes, second homes, investment properties and valuables such as high-value furnishings, antique collections, artwork and jewelry
- The valuation of businesses, including limited partnerships and closely held or family-owned business, which is required before these assets can be fairly distributed
- The valuation of complex assets, including stock options, restricted stock units, deferred compensation, hedge funds, investment portfolios, intellectual property, royalties and retirement plans such as pensions and 401(k)s
- The discovery and assessment of hidden assets, including offshore accounts and investments in overseas assets
- The use of alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and collaborative law to resolve divorces and separations in Connecticut and New York
- The estate and tax considerations of high net worth divorces
- The drafting and interpretation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- The resolution of spousal maintenance and alimony disputes
- The establishment or modification of child custody arrangements, including parenting plans, visitation and child relocation
- The seeking of emergency orders, including temporary child support, custody and protective/restraining orders
- The Hague Convention and parental kidnapping matters, including cases arising under the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA)
- The many cross-jurisdictional issues involving Connecticut and New York law, including matters arising under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)
Ms. Opinsky also represents clients in cases involving civil unions, domestic partnerships and same-sex divorce as well as post-divorce modifications of alimony, child support, custody and visitation; relocation; and post-judgment enforcement. Additionally, Ms. Opinsky serves as a strong advocate for clients facing domestic violence issues, including assault, spousal abuse and matters warranting the involvement of Child Protective Services.
Additional Support Is Often Needed In Moderate And High Net Worth Divorces
Regardless of the circumstances, Ms. Opinsky is uniquely poised to address whatever issues arise during a high-asset divorce and collaborates with leading experts to provide her clients with the most comprehensive approach to their cases. Whether you require the services of a business expert, actuary, real estate appraiser, forensic accountant, parent coordinator, mental health professional, guardian ad litem or other professional, Ms. Opinsky will ensure that your goals are met and that your property and legal interests are safeguarded at all costs.
Undoubtedly, a sophisticated divorce requires sophisticated legal representation. Heidi E. Opinsky and her team of annulment lawyers, are committed to providing skilled legal services that exceed your expectations. They will take the time to explain your legal options, advise you of the full scope of your rights and responsibilities and help you make informed decisions in your case. If you would like to speak to Ms. Opinsky, reach out to her online or call her at 203-392-1719. With offices in both New York City and Stamford, Connecticut, she assists clients throughout Greater New York and the surrounding areas, including those in Manhattan, Greenwich, Westport and Fairfield.